News

Perez Hilton Hospitalized After Self-Harm Livestream

Perez Hilton was hospitalized after livestreaming self-harm on TikTok, prompting a police de-escalation response in Miami.

Celebrity blogger Perez Hilton was hospitalized Tuesday night after appearing to livestream acts of self-harm on TikTok from his Miami home, prompting a carefully orchestrated police response that prioritized de-escalation over forced entry, according to the Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies responded to Hilton’s residence in the Westchester neighborhood around 9 p.m. after receiving multiple calls about the disturbing video. The sheriff’s office said officers spoke with family members at the scene and confirmed that the man was alone inside the home.

Rather than breaching the residence, authorities tactically disengaged while continuing to monitor the situation.

De-escalation Tactics Used

In a statement that law enforcement officials described as standard for mental health crisis situations, the Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office outlined its approach.

“In many incidents involving a person experiencing a mental health crisis or actively harming themselves, deputies prioritize de-escalation by creating time, distance and opportunities for communication,” the statement read. “Unless there is an immediate threat to others, slowing the situation and utilizing crisis intervention techniques can reduce the likelihood of a suicide-by-cop encounter and minimize the risk of injury to the individual, deputies and the public.”

The strategy worked: around 9 p.m., the sheriff’s office announced that the individual had been “safely recovered and transported by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue to a local hospital, where he is receiving medical attention.” Mental health professionals were later sent to the scene to provide support and resources to the family.

TikTok’s Moderation Failure and Account Ban

The livestream itself, which showed Hilton covered in blood with visible cuts and holding what appeared to be a knife, drew immediate concern from viewers who pleaded with him and asked for his phone number to alert authorities. The video has since been removed from TikTok.

A TikTok spokesperson said the platform’s automated moderation systems flagged the livestream within minutes, but a moderator error caused a delay in removal.

Perez Hilton Hospitalized

The company disputed reports that the video lasted 30 minutes, calling them “factually wrong” and stating the livestream “lasted about half that time.” TikTok said it closed several subsequent streams “within 90 seconds.” The platform proactively alerted law enforcement and permanently banned Hilton’s account.

“We proactively alerted law enforcement to the situation to help get the individual support,” the spokesperson said.

Family and Management Statements

In a Wednesday statement on Hilton’s website, his team and family expressed gratitude and confirmed his treatment.

“We can confirm that Perez is receiving medical care, and our family’s focus right now is on his well-being,” the statement said. “We kindly ask that you respect Perez’s privacy, as well as the privacy of his family, during this difficult time.”

Dante Rusciolelli, CEO of Golden Artists Entertainment, the talent management firm representing Hilton, echoed the sentiment.

“Our focus remains on Perez’s health, recovery, and the privacy of both him and his family during this incredibly difficult time,” he said. “We are grateful for the outpouring of concern and support from fans, friends, and members of the media. We respectfully ask that everyone continue to honor his privacy while he receives the care he needs.”

Hilton — born Mario Lavandeira Jr. — rose to fame in the early 2000s with his celebrity gossip website, often skewering public figures for gaffes and legal troubles. Now 48, he is a single father of three children under 14, all born via surrogacy.

On June 17, he announced on Instagram that his family was moving back to Miami after 3½ years in Las Vegas.

The Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office confirmed that no charges or arrests have been made and that the investigation remains ongoing. Authorities have not indicated whether Hilton will face any legal consequences, treating the incident as a mental health crisis rather than a criminal matter.

Sources

React
Avatar photo

M. Yogesh

M. Yogesh runs the newsroom at The Pop Reporter and writes the entertainment news that spans more than one topic — industry changes, awards, and stories that cross movies, TV, and music. His approach is simple: get the facts right first, then give readers the context that explains why it matters.